ATF EFORMS ARE LIVE AT OAKLAND TACTICAL: What you need to know, and how to begin.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has recently allowed the ATF Form 4 to be submitted online. Electronically submitted ATF form 4s using the e-file system are a faster alternative to the paper forms that previously had to be mailed to the ATF. The ATF form 4 is required in the transfer of an existing NFA item from the seller to you the buyer. In compliance with the regulations NFA and GCA there are several simple, but required, steps to buying an NFA item. National Firearms Act 1934(NFA)/Gun Control Act 1968 (GCA)
Buying an NFA item Steps:
1. Understand the legality of silencers/suppressors or other NFA items in your state.
2. Select the suppressor/NFA item that best suits your needs.
Suppressors are currently allowed for private ownership in these states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY. (Disclaimer: verify that owning a suppressor is legal in your area.)
Consider supporting Oakland Tactical.
*Any out of stock item can be special ordered. Suppressors specifically will likely arrive within a month.*
3. Decide on a registration method for your NFA item (individual, trust, corp.)
4. Pay for your tax stamp and buy your NFA item.
5. Complete paperwork/eForm.
6. Once forms are accepted, complete background check.
7. Enjoy your new suppressor/NFA item.
What do you need to get started?
1. Go to eforms.atf.gov to create an eForms account. You will be assigned your username from the ATF. Then you will make your own password, 4-digit PIN, and security question. To help reduce wait times we recommend that the account creation process be finished before completing the form 4 in store. (We have kiosks set up in our store to create an eForms account if not done beforehand.)
*If you already have an eForms account and want to complete the ATF form 4 electronically you will have to change your password and create a 4-digit PIN to update your account.*
2. An up-to-date driver's license with your current address.
3. An electronic payment method (debit/credit card) for the $200 tax stamp (per NFA item). This is paid directly to the government at the time fingerprints are captured.
What do I need to file ATF eForms electronically if I have a gun trust?
1. The same updated, or newly created, eForms account from the executor of the gun trust.
2. A notarized electronic copy of your trust. (emailed to [email protected] or brought in on a flash drive)
3. An up-to-date driver's license with current address for each responsible persons on the trust. They will also have their photos and fingerprints taken.
4. An electronic payment method (debit/credit card) for the $200 tax stamp (per NFA item). This is paid directly to the government at the time fingerprints are captured.
Q:How much faster is filing electronically?
A:We can never be 100% certain when it comes to the ATF/government. We don't know exactly how much faster eForms are compared to paper. But from our observations and experiences paper forms are completed in around 10 months or even slightly longer. eForms are around 3 months maybe less going forward.
Q:How will you know when your eForm has been approved?
A:Your email connected with the ATF account as well as your NFA/suppressor dealer (Oakland Tactical) will be contacted at the time of your approval.